These 12 pounder guns were placed in Kloof Nek in 1782 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) to defend the settlement near the Castle from attack by a force which could land on Camps Bay beach.
The guns could control the wagon track which led from Camps Bay to the Castle via Kloof Nek.
The guns were manually recovered from the gorge below by naval officers under training acting in support of the Durr Estates Gun Recovery Programme. Fly to this location
(Requires Google Earth)